* My art was selected to surround a construction site at Yonge and Eglinton. This project will feature a collage of photographs from the series The Other Side affixed to the temporary fencing. This exhibit is taking place thanks to PATCH. The development project, Lillian Park, is south of Eglinton at Soudan between Dunfield and Lillian Street. It's on this map.
News in 2017
* I made an Etsy page to sell some of the things I've made, including postcards, posters, and a map
* I'll be selling a few items at the Tranzac Holiday Gift Fair on Dec 2, 3, and 9 from 12 to 6 p.m.
* Come on a White Squirrel Hunt with me! I'm leading these non-violent hunts in Trinity Bellwoods Park over the summer and beyond. You can sign up through AirBnb's website. All participants will get their own copy of this new White Squirrels of Toronto Map. I made it so you can see where the white squirrels like to hang out.
* Do you like intoxication? I'll be telling a story on the theme Intoxication at Old Words: Stories in Music, Poetry, and Prose on July the 29th. Free Times Café at 6pm. The official invitation is HERE.
* The Bloordale Snail Mail Workshop will be back for another round of writing time! This time it will appear at the BIG on Bloor Festival. I'll be set up at the BIA table for the weekend. It's July 22 and 23. The Facebook invitation is HERE.
* This week's NOW Magazine includes an article about the parking-themed Jane's Walk that I led last weekend in the vicinity of Galleria Mall. It was rainy and chilly but we had some enthralling parking-related discussion. Seeing a Hummer limo drive across the parking lot was a highlight of the walk (not mentioned in the newspaper article).
* Parking Lots & Parking Spots: Galleria Mall & Beyond! That's the Jane's Walk I'll be leading this year. Meet me on May 6th at 2 pm in Galleria Mall's parking lot by the tall mall sign (SW corner of Dufferin & Dupont). Here's the event page.
* Come to a postcard-writing workshop! I'll be leading a Bloordale snail mail workshop as part of Bloordale's Major/Minor Festival on May 7, 11 am to 2 pm at Home Baking Co. (1242 Bloor St. W). As Postcard Coach, I will assist you in crafting the perfect postcard.
* Here's the Thing: A Creative Writing Walk! That's the Jane's Walk that me and Denise Pinto will be leading on May 7th from 3:30 to 5 pm. We'll walk and write and we'll be creative. Fun! Meet us outside of the Dufferin subway station entrance on the west side of the street. Denise will be holding up a sign that says HERE'S THE THING.
* I've collected 100 facts in the Fact Box! Stay tuned for the Fact Book which will include the facts submitted in the box plus annotations to ensure factual correctness. For more info on the Fact Box, check out this article in Torontoist. Other info is here and here.
* Galleria Mall will be featured in a little book about Galleria Mall! Stay tuned for more.
* A new collection of short stories! Perhaps it will be your new favourite book. The book is called Everything Life Has to Offer. In Toronto, it's available in Bloordale at TOWN (1187 Bloor St. W at Brock). Or see if you can get your hands on a copy at Another Story, Type, or Book City. If you're in New York, you can pick up a copy at Bluestockings (172 Allen St.). It's also available in print and ebook formats from Invisible Publishing, Amazon, and Chapters-Indigo.
* Reading: Pivot Reading Series w/ Ashley-Elizabeth Best and Robert Chafe at The Steady Café & Bar (1051 Bloor St W) March 22 at 8 p.m.
News in 2016
* There are a whole pile of readings in November (and one in December). Here is the list of readings in Toronto and elsewhere:
Invisible Publishing Toronto book launch w/ Michael Casteels and Michelle Winters
Handlebar (159 Augusta Avenue). 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.
November 10 - Kingston
Invisible Publishing Kingston book launch w/ Michael Casteels and Michelle Winters
Novel Idea (156 Princess Street). 7 p.m.
November 11 - Ottawa
Invisible Publishing Ottawa book launch w/ Michael Casteels and Michelle Winters
Black Squirrel Books (1073 Bank Street)
Junction Reads w/ Heather Tucker, Colette Maitland, Malcolm Sutton, Daniel Perry, and Vanessa Shields
Axis Gallery & Grill (3048 Dundas St. W). 5 - 7 p.m.
November 17 - Brooklyn, NY
Pete's Candy Store Reading Series w/ John Jodzio and Megan Snyder-Camp
Pete's Candy Store (709 Lorimer St.). 7:30 p.m.
November 21 - Hamilton
Invisible Publishing Hamilton book launch w/ Michael Casteels and Michelle Winters
The Strathacona (306 King St. W). 7 - 10 p.m.
Everything Life Has to Offer party w/ book-related music, cupcakes, snacks, host Chris Graham, sentences from the book, and more!
The Emmet Ray (924 College St.). 7 - 10 p.m.
November 27 - Montreal
Lit POP Reading Series w/ Neil Smith, Aimee Wall, Allison Graves, William Richardson, Charles Gonsalves, Ariane Legault, and Ivan Fischer
Comedyworks (1238 Bishop St.). 8 - 11 p.m.
Words at the Wise w/ Daniel Perry and Andrew Simpson
Wise Bar (1007 Bloor St. W). 8 - 10 p.m.
Common Readings w/ Andrew Faulkner and Leigh Nash
Belljar Cafe (2072 Dundas St. W at Howard Park). 8 p.m.
Sarah Greene's Holiday Revue
A special reading from Everything Holiday Life Has to Offer (which isn't actually a book, but a variation on a book)
The Tranzac (292 Brunswick Ave.). 7:30 p.m.
* My collection of short stories, Everything Life Has to Offer, will be out November 1st, published by Invisible Publishing. Quill & Quire knows all about the book and listed it in their fall preview. It also made the list of most anticipated fall books on the literary blog, 49th Shelf, where it says it's "a collection of contemporary, unusual, and sharply whimsical short stories." A few writers gave good descriptions and had nice things to say. Key words include hilarious, funny, bizarre, eccentric, goofy, off-kilter, modern, and heart-warming.
* Galleria Mall posters and postcards are now available at Art Metropole (1490 Dundas W at Dufferin) and TOWN (1187 Bloor W at Brock). Current Galleria Green 1245 posters are available in four shades of green in a limited edition of 20 prints each. They will also be for sale at the the Bloordale Parkette Markette in Susan Tibaldi Parkette (357 Margueretta St.) on Sundays Sept 25, Oct 23, & Nov 20. 10 to 3 p.m.
* The Department of Good Public Works has kicked off its Space Improvement Signage Program (SISP). The first batch of signs are related to the feeding of feral pigeons. They can currently be found in Toronto's west end.
* Miniature Mobiles: Shades of Galleria Mall are small mobiles that fit inside of bubbles suitable for candy dispensers. These mobiles are part of the current works contained within the Northern Beaver Gallery, which will be located across from Planet Fitness at Galleria Mall (1245 Dupont St.) until the end of June. For info on all projects related to Galleria Mall, visit the And So On And So On website.
* On June 11th from 11am to 1pm, I'll be at Northern Beaver Gallery [across from Planet Fitness at Galleria Mall (1245 Dupont St.)] along with the owner and curator of the gallery, Rebecca Houston. We'll be available to chat and to answer any questions you may have.
* A story of mine is in the May/June issue of THIS Magazine. Pick up a copy to read what I wrote.
* I'll be performing in a backyard in Toronto on June 14th. Only 18 tickets are available to this event. Fourteen tickets are left! All the details are HERE. Get a ticket while they're still available!
* I'll be reading at the launch party for Daniel Perry's book, Hamburger. There will also be reading by André Babyn and music by Braden Mutch. Come to the Victory Café on May 18th. Things will get started at 7 pm. See you then!
* I'll be leading another Jane's Walk. A Time Travel Adventure at Galleria Mall! If you came out last year, come back for more! Rather than walking from Galleria Mall to Dufferin Mall like we did before, we'll travel back to the year 1972, discuss possible future developments for the area around Galleria Mall, and take a look at what the future might look like. There are so many new things to discuss! Time travel! Adventure! Sunday, May 8 at 2 p.m.
* Remember the Fact Box? I'll be talking about facts and the Fact Box for Denise Pinto's Jane's Walk! The walk, Little Free Libraries: An Impromptu Walk With Neighbours, will explore the little libraries in the east end. I've hardly talked about the Fact Box east of Yonge Street, so this will be very exciting! Meet us on May 7 at 4 p.m. at Coxwell station.
* I'll be reading at the Brockton Writers Series on May 4th at Full of Beans (1348 Dundas W) at 6:30 p.m. Read what I wrote on their blog. It's about plants, the mailman, a synthesizer, my signature, and emails from my mother.
* A photo-based art installation will be up at Galleria Mall (1245 Dupont St.) on January 30th at 8 p.m. for the Long Winter Galleria Mall event. This will be a fun one! The Galleria is more popular than ever before!
* I'm going to have a book this year. Invisible Publishing will be publishing my collection of short stories in the fall.
News in 2015
* I'll be reading as part of Amazing New Stuff at the Bell Jar Café on Dec 19 at 7 p.m. $5.
* There's an article about me and my Fact Box in Torontoist.
* There are new Galleria Mall holiday season postcards, just in time for the holiday season!
* I have 3 pieces in the In the Round III exhibit at Graven Feather (906 Queen St. West). Exhibition dates: Nov 5 to Nov 28th.
* I've begun a new public art project on fences. It's a project in conjunction with the Department of Good Public Works.
* I'm the Head Chair & Executive Director of the Department of Good Public Works!
* I received an Honorable Mention in January's Glimmer Train Very Short Fiction Award! An honour, indeed.